Friday, September 18, 2009

September 11

September 11, 2009
Tomorrow I will reach my month anniversary of arriving in Honduras. Its quite strange actually, I feel like I just got here a couple days ago. Everything still seems so new and I feel like I’m still on the adrenaline rush of just arriving. I’m still working on meeting the neighbors and the poverty continues to surprise me. But on the other hand I feel very settled here. I feel comfortable in my room and house, get a long great with my housemates; I know I can get what I need and feel that I have already made great friends! My Spanish picked right back up and I’m enjoying perfecting it with all the teachers I work with in the teacher’s lounge.
I think it feels like such a time warp because I have been so busy. I have not had anytime to miss home or to do much exploring. I work hard everyday, but because I’m working hard the week goes by quickly and the weekend is long and restful. I guess that makes me thankful to be working so hard even though it took some getting used to. I think I took weekends for granted in college, they sure are wonderful things!
At school we have a boy, I’m not sure if I have written about him or not yet, but his name is Eduardo and he has some major disability but I don’t know what it is. All the teachers struggle with him because he acts out and has a very hard time making social connections. He is a first grader of mine so I have gotten to know him well the past few weeks. This week though something clicked between us. I have to tell you a couple stories that make me proud to be his teacher and grateful for his presence at the school. Earlier this week, during chapel, I stood next to Eduardo to help him keep his body still and in the seat. As we left chapel he hugged me so sweet. My friend and 5th grade teacher Dirian noticed and later in the day she said wow, Eduardo really loves you. I love that in the Hispanic culture that isn’t weird and is said without hesitation, “Eduardo te quiere Hannah!” It felt good to have someone else notice and tell me! Then yesterday I had to drop something off in the first grade classroom while they where in Spanish class. As I was walking down the hall leaving the classroom suddenly Eduardo was wrapped around my legs. I tried to convince him to get back into the classroom and finally I did and left again. And again he ran out of his classroom and grabbed me. I explained to him that right now he needed to be in his classroom and I would see him again later in the day. It feels good to be wanted even though he should have stayed in his classroom ;-)
Then today I had entrance duty which means I stand at the front gate and welcome the students. As Eduardo walked up to the gates he yelled Buenos dias miss Hannah and gave me a huge hug. Needless to say… it made my day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm giving thanks for Eduardo - and for your relationship with him. You have always been so good with folks of the fringes... kind of like Jesus!!!!

    ReplyDelete